Education Facilitator Intern
Support a staff Sustainability Educator by implementing hands-on student projects in a school setting.
Spark-Y engages students in schools across the Twin Cities through hands-on projects in sustainability and entrepreneurship. Staff Sustainability Educators conduct programs for K-12 students using teaching tools such as aquaponics and vermicomposting systems as well as school gardens. Lessons also include a focus on youth leadership development. Spark-Y lessons occur on a daily, weekly, or quarterly basis to fit the needs of our school partners.
The ideal Education Facilitator intern will:
● Have experience working with youth in schools, extracurricular programs, or other educational settings
● Recognize and encourage the potential of each student
● Approach their work through the lens of diverse backgrounds and experiences
● Be familiar with sustainable practices and environmental stewardship
● Bring an enthusiasm for STEM
● Commit to spending at least two hours/week facilitating their program assignment as well as at least one hour/week of preparation with Spark-Y staff
An Education Facilitator intern is expected to:
● Prepare and conduct lessons with a staff Sustainability Educator on a consistent basis
● Engage students from all backgrounds in a variety of hands-on learning projects
● Have an adaptable approach to learning and education
● Act as a second pair of eyes to gauge student interest and involvement
● Meet with their staff supervisor at least once a month to review progress and tasks